Kwikset SmartCode 916
Z-Wave Plus Wireless Remote Deadbolt
The Kwikset SmartCode 916 features Home Connect and Z-Wave Plus for wireless communication with other devices in the home. When paired with a Z-Wave Plus home control system, you can monitor if the door is locked, get activity alerts, remotely change codes, access the door from anywhere and much more!
For more information or ordering assistance, please call our Residential Product Specialists at 877-439-5377 ext 9005
- Lock talks wirelessly to security and home automation systems via Z-Wave Plus
- Lock and check status with Amazon Alexa via Ezlo, SmartThings and Wink
- Non-connected version available in the 915 Series
- Capacative touchscreen
- Bright white LED’s for clear visibility in the brightest sunlight
- Secured keyless entry convenience
- Full 128-bit encryption security
- One touch locking
- Dramatically reduced interior size and sleek metal design
- 30 user codes plus master code feature for added security
- Patented Bump proof and Pick resistant
- Installs in minutes with just a screw driver
- Adjustable Backset: 2 3/8″ or 2 3/4″
- Grade 2 BHMA rating
- Battery Operation: 4AA (sold separate at checkout)
- Lifetime mechanical and finish
- 1 year electronics
Technical and Training Documents
Benefits of Z-Wave Plus vs. Classic Z-Wave
- Latest advancements in Chip Technology
- Equipped with latest “Next Gen” hardware
- Enhanced security features
- Improved RF range +39%
- Improved battery life +30%
- Lock will be enrolled with “One Button Enrollment” feature
This is Z-Wave device that can be controlled remotely by connecting it to one of these systems.
Home Automation is a style of living. It is about always being connected to the home you love. These systems* allow you to control your connected home devices such as door locks, thermostats, lights, motion sensors, cameras, water sensors, and more, all remotely from a computer or smartphone.
*Also works with Samsung SmartThings, Wink, Iris, ADT Pulse, Alarm.com, Honeywell, HomeSeer, LG Smart Security, Staples’ Connect, Harmony by Logitech, and many more.
Strengthen your Z-Wave network with a Signal Repeater
Looking to use voice commands to lock your door with Amazon Alexa? Simply pair the Kwikset wireless lock to the VeraPlus controller and then enable the Vera skill inside the Alexa app. Speak “Alexa, lock the front door” to your Amazon Echo or Dot, and Vera will lock the door. Cool part is you can add electronic switches, Z-Wave LED bulbs, remote control outlets and other devices to create groups in Alexa for automating certain routines you manually do every day, like turning the lights off and locking the doors when you go to bed at night.
*Amazon, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
5 5/8 (H) x 2 3/16 (W) x 1 3/16 (D) in.
5 3/4 (H) x 2 3/4 (W) x 1 15/16 (D) in.
4 to 8 Digits
|Door Thickness Minimum|
1 3/8 in.
|Door Thickness Maximum|
Standard 2 1/8 in. Cross-Bore, Edge Bore: 1 in.
|Door Stile Width|
Minimum 3 1/2 in.
Key, Keypad – Digits
Auto Relocking, Remote Control, Status Monitoring, Z-Wave Plus
Front body: Weather Resistant
Grade 2 (Better)
UL 20 min.
Kwikset Recodeable (KW1)
1 Year Electronic, Lifetime Mechanical and Finish
40 ft. (increase range with repeaters / mesh network)
Ring Video Doorbell
Customer Questions & Answers
- Q My lock has lost its power source. How do I replace or reactive the battery? answer nowAsked by April 17, 2022 10:50 AMonA
The Kwikset SmartCode 916 uses 4 AA batteries in a battery pack installed on the interior portion of the unit. You can open the battery pack to replace the batteries. If you need a new battery pack you would need to purchase one by contacting [email protected]
Follow the below to enroll a new access code on the Smartcode 916:
1.) Make sure the door is Open. Press the Program button once.
2.) On the keypad, press the checkmark once. Enter a new user code between 4 and 8 digits. Up to 30 codes can be enrolled at once.
3.) Press the Lock button once.
4.) A checkmark symbol with one beep indicates that the code has been successfully enrolled. Three beeps mean that the code may already be enrolled or that the lock has reached its 30 code capacity.
How to delete an existing user code:
1.) Make sure the door is Open. Press the Program button once.
2.) On the keypad, press the checkmark once. Then press the lock symbol once.
3.) Enter the user code to be deleted.
4.) Press the Lock button once.
5.) Re-enter the existing user code to be deleted.
6.) Press the lock symbol once.
- Q How can you identify a pre-installed Kwikset smart code lock? answer nowAsked by January 6, 2021 10:04 PMonA
This lock will typically have a label on the backplate of the unit that has the serial number and the model listed. Otherwise, the best method would be to take a picture of the front and back of the lock so that we can identify it this way.
- Q Can I unlock and lock remotely from my phone if I’m away from home? answer nowAsked by June 27, 2020 5:53 PMonA
If the lock is paired to a smart hub or service that supports mobile access, such as Vera, then you can certainly control the lock from any location!
- Q Is the 916 compatible with Alexa and the Alexa App? answer nowAsked by June 12, 2020 3:07 PMonA
Yes, this model is compatible with Alexa when paired with a smart home hub such as Vera.
- Q Will the 916 model work with Ring doorbell system? answer nowAsked by February 12, 2020 11:10 AMonA
Yes, this lock is compatible with the Ring Alarm system!
- Q Does the 916 work with your home WiFi to fully operate or is additional items needed? answer nowAsked by October 18, 2019 3:38 PMonA
The 916 is a Z-Wave enabled unit and is meant to pair with your existing smart hub such as Vera, Samsung SmartThings, or Wink. Without a smart hub, you will not have an active connection to the lock for remote control.
- Q Will the monitoring feature of this lock show you the codes used to lock/unlock the door? answer nowAsked by October 16, 2019 11:43 AMonA
Standalone, this lock does not have the ability to keep a log of who entered the door at a certain time. If this unit is paired to a smart hub such as Vera or SmartThings, these hubs usually have an audit capability that will be able to display this information.
The short answer is that Z-wave Plus is the upgrade from Z-wave. You can find the specific definitions and answers for the differences at the Z-wave Alliance website. Here is the link to the specifics of Z-wave Plus.